Thursday, May 22, 2008


I have a little taste of Burundi in Oregon. I'm teaching English to an African refugee woman, Estela. She is 34 and was born in a refugee camp in Tanzania because of Burundi's first civil war. She and her husband, Jacob, tried to return to Burundi in the early '90's, but had to flee back to Tanzania during Burundi's second civil war. I love Estela's joy and eagerness to learn. I can relate! Each member of her family is unique and lovely...Jacob, Jane, Oliva, Ginean, Ciza, Imani, Nuru, and Peter. I took my parents to meet the family today. The Kaburas were amazed that "imuzungus" (white people) knew so much Kirundi, the national language in Burundi.

2 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

Can Imani be either a girl or boy's name?

Beth said...

Good question. I don't know, but this Imani is a boy! He's in the middle with the red shirt.