Saturday, May 31, 2008

Burundi Countryside

This is how I remember Burundi. I'll let you know if much has changed. Here's a link to a website with more pictures of the people and place of Burundi. In epidemiology, we're studying how people, place, and time all contribute to the etiology of disease. Throw globalization into the mix, and it even gets more interesting. I would highly recommend the biography about Paul Farmer, a public health doc, called "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder that further develops these ideas.

2 comments:

chatty Kathy said...

Hi Beth, I's me, chatty Kathy from Arglye, Is this picture of a grub farm in Burundi? Seriously though, it's beautiful! I really admire your strengh and determination.I know you'll be missed here,but what an adventure!!You are doing something wonderful to help people in need and I wish you success and good health. I will miss your great sense of humor,work won't be the same without you.I wish I could afford to come there and see it,meet the people and see what you do.Since that probably won't happen.. this blog will keep in the loop. (Oh, by the way.. your children are beautiful.) They must be very proud of you too.Keep in touch, Kathy

Beth said...

You make me laugh, Kathy! Thanks for your support. I don't think this is a "grub" farm...it's probably beans! They grow lots of coffee and tea there too. I look forward to staying in touch with you and all my friends at Argyle.