Saturday, August 21, 2010

Love List #1: Things I Love

1. Kris Carr’s blog Crazy, Sexy Life. I got this idea of making a list of things I love from Kris Carr’s blog. I first heard about Kris when my daughter pointed out her video at the library, and I discovered someone with a lot of irreverent joy and tenacity when dealing with cancer. I’d love to be as inspiring as Kris, but I’m learning to accept who I am and go with it.


2. Mom. It’s still hard to believe Mom died early this month from cancer. She will always be remembered as my dear Mamawe. The 16th would’ve been Mom and Dad’s 53rd wedding anniversary. Dad and I shared a meal and a Dairy Queen blizzard to remember the day and their great love.



3. Gorgeous, colorful, vibrant flowers. My former coworkers at Argyle Winery sent me this bouquet this week, and it makes my heart happy each time I look at it.

4. The Oregon coast. I just spent a rejuvenating weekend in Newport with my dad, kids and sister, Laurie. With the heat inland, the coast’s cool air and shifting clouds were a respite. Walking, s’mores, game of Hearts, reading Lit, sleeping with the surf, eating at Local Ocean…all good.















5. Bitter Melon. I was turned on to this strange vegetable by the owner of my local Thai restaurant. She claims it will reduce cancer tumor growth. I can claim it is the bitterest thing I’ve ever tasted, but I keep going back for more. The following equations were found on the National Bitter Melon website:
One Bitter Melon Equals...
One Bitter Melon = 2 pieces of large bananas
One Bitter Melon = the beginning of understanding bitterness
One Bitter Melon = a size of my foot
One Bitter Melon = 89 cents in Oakland Chinatown
One Bitter Melon = one story
One Bitter Melon = conversations with grandmothers

No comments: